Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Arranging Nature - Art by Jennifer Angus

I just saw an amazing installation by Jennifer Angus at NIU's Olson Gallery. She uses bugs from around the world to create patterns that reference textiles and wallpaper. I'm not sure how I feel about using bugs for art (there are just SOOO MANY!). Using living creatures for decorative purposes does bother me, but I know she re-uses a lot of the bugs, and none of them are endangered. She feels that her art might introduce these creatures to people who didn't even know they existed and therefor raise awareness about loss of rainforest habitat. Either way, it is beautiful and the installation catered to my interest in natural history and reminded me of my own plant mandala work.










         

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome! I'm sure you know this already, but the show will be up until Feb. 28th :)

    ReplyDelete